Background Checks FAQ

Who is required to fill out a check?
All volunteers, interns, AmeriCorps members, staff, and others working with or around youth and/or families while at GRuB are required to fill out an annual background check through the Olympia School District (OSD).

Does the check cost money?
No, the check is free.

What does the check look for?
The check looks for very specific offenses related to working with youth (sexual assault, domestic violence, drug dealing, and a few others). Some offenses, like DUIs or shoplifting, may limit types of volunteering (e.g. transporting youth or handling money) but not others. The type of offense, how long ago it took place, and how up-front you are about it are all taken into consideration when deciding upon your eligibility to volunteer.

How often will I need to fill it out?
The check is good for one year and is renewed annually between May and July.

How long does it take to receive results?
It takes up to two weeks to receive results once the check is processed.

How soon can I start volunteering once GRuB has my results?
You can start with some kinds of volunteering (farm drop-in hours, for example) right away. You will be expected to attend a volunteer orientation within your first two months of volunteering, and most volunteer roles are limited to folks who’ve completed the orientation. Orientations are held once per month, alternating between weeknights and weekend mornings.

How can I get a copy of my results?
Olympia School District has the detailed results of your check. For a copy of it, contact the folks who conduct OSD background checks at or (360)596-6130.

Who can I contact with questions?
Contact GRuB’s Volunteer Coordinator at or (360)753-5522, and/or OSD’s background check coordinator at or (360)596-6130.

Directions for completing the check:
Visit and follow these steps:

Step 1: Click on “Start”
Step 2: Fill out sections 1 and 2 to the best of your ability
Required information is marked with a ” * “. If you do not have a driver’s license, you can input “N/A” to complete the application.
Step 3: Under “Confirm your school selection,” choose “GRuB”
Step 4: Select “Farm Volunteering” and/or “General Volunteering” according to your interests.
Step 5: Submit your application!